Mothers are typically the glue that keeps the family unit humming along smoothly throughout the year. Mom’s duties are multi-dimensional and seemingly never end, beginning early each morning and eventually winding down in the evening hours.
We give our mothers one special day a year to really demonstrate our love and affection – Mother’s Day – which, in case you didn’t realize, pops up on the calendar this Sunday (May 13).
We’ve been celebrating this holiday for more than a century. Mother’s Day is a time-honored tradition that was first initiated in the United States in 1907 and is now celebrated by other countries worldwide.
Many husbands and children struggle to come up with a solid plan to celebrate Mother’s Day. And that’s certainly not surprising! Who typically is the brains and planner behind any holiday? That’s right – Mom.
The typical ideas for Mother’s Day involve a family outing for brunch or an elegant dinner.
While nothing is wrong with these time-honored ways to give Mom a special day, why not try something a little different this year – and give Mom some good health, too (no, we’re not suggesting “ruining” the celebration!).
Since a typical day for many Moms involves dealing with a variety of stress, a great gift relieves the stress and keeps Mom healthy in mind and body.
Here are a few healthy ideas that will make Mom happy:
1. Prepare Mom a homemade spa package: A pretty basket or bag that includes soaps, lotions, loofah, candles, pedicure kit.
2. Buy Mom a massage: A deep massaging of the muscles and the tissues can go a long way in keeping Mom healthy and relieve any stress. Additional benefits from a message are improved blood circulation, clearer skin, lower blood pressure,, and possibly improved immune system.
3. Soothing music: A relaxing concert in a park with a picnic (Remember the healthy fruits and vegetables!).
4. Breakfast in bed: Yes, a classic idea. Make sure to give Mom some great fresh fruit, whole grains, and low fat protein such non-fat yogurt with sliced strawberries and granola.
5. Bring mom to the flowers: Instead of buying Mom flowers, have the family visit a botanical garden. A walk around the grounds is not only good exercise, it also gives Mom the opportunity to pick out flowers or a plant as a Mother’s Day gift. Of course, watch the allergies!
6. Battle-free zone: leave the family feuds and strife at the door – nothing gets Mom’s blood pressure rising like a family fight.
Finally, give Mom a hug – it might be the healthiest thing you can do for her on Mother’s Day and will be the best gift of all!
Dr. Alesia J. Wagner
Dr. Wagner is a Regional Medical Director in Southern California for U.S. Lamsimsinhvien.