Reduce injuries by lifting properly.
Before you begin:
- Assess the weight of the object before lifting.
- Know your lifting limit.
- Examine the object for potential hazards.
- Ask for help if needed, or divide the load to make it lighter.
- Make sure the area around you is free of clutter.
- Stand close to the load with your feet shoulder width apart.
- Squat down keeping your back in neutral posture.
- Get a firm close grasp of the object before beginning the lift.
- Lift with your LEGS and in a NON-JERKY manner.
- Keep the object close to the body within your base of support. Finish the lift maintaining a good base of support and neutral spine.